Today’s post comes from Sarah, who will be co-directing LiveUp DC!
Can you believe that it’s Valentine’s Day already? Summer is just around the corner! In the meantime, here are 10 Ways you can show your LiveUp Love:
- Wear your LiveUp Shirt: Even though people usually wear pinks and reds on Valentine’s Day, pull out your favorite blue LiveUp shirt to sport for the day. You probably have a few different to choose from!
- Social Media: Share your favorite LiveUp memory with us. You can follow us on Facebook and Instagram. What’s your favorite memory?
- Cook your favorite LiveUp Recipe: We always make sure that we learn a new healthy recipe at each program. What a better way to celebrate than some Almond Butter Berries Brownies? (see recipe at the bottom)
- Share you LiveUp Story: Did you have a great time last summer? Want to tell us about it? You can log into your account and share your favorite LiveUp story!
- Support a business owned by a person with down syndrome: Looking for a treat for your Valentine? Check out Collettey’s Cookies! Collettey is a woman with down syndrome in Boston who started her own cookie busy. I’ve heard rumors that her cinnamon chocolate chip cookie is no joke!
- Check out Spirit Club: If you’re in the Maryland Area, you might have heard of Spirit Club. Spirit Club is all about providing “Our mission is to provide supportive and accommodating programs to increase the health & wellness of people of ALL abilities, including people with disabilities, mental health and substance abuse disorders, and age-related diseases.” They just opened their new facility in Kensington, MD. I’ve been lucky enough to hang out with them for a few classes this winter and I always have a blast!
- Make a donation: Got an itch to donate to something good? LiveUp wants to make sure that everyone who wants to attend is able to. Donations keeps our program open for everyone. You can donate here!
- Send a Valentine to some of our LiveUp friends: Miss your mentor? Haven’t spoken to your roomie in a while? Send them a Valentine!
- Tell a friend: Nothing is as good as seeing all of your old friends at LiveUp…except making new friends! Tell your friends about LiveUp! We love to welcome new participants and mentors to join us!
- Health Living Exercise: You know so well that we always make sure that we have some morning wellness! Here’s one to get our ready this summer:
• 30 seconds high knees
• 30 seconds butt kicks
• 20 toe touches
• 20 arm circles
Repeat 2 Times!
Almond Butter Berries Brownies
•2 cups unsalted raw almond butter
•1 cup raw organic honey, melted
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•1/2 cup cocoa powder
•1/2 teaspoon sea salt
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
•1 cup fresh berries such as blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries
•1 very ripe banana
•Preheat oven to 325°F.
•Grease a baking dish with coconut oil or organic butter and set aside
•In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend almond butter to a smoother consistency.
•Beat in the eggs one at a time.
•Add in the honey and the vanilla and continue to blend.
•Add the salt, baking soda, and then slowly add in the cacao powder to prevent the cacao powder from getting all over you.
•By hand gently fold in the chocolate chips and berries and mix well.
•In a separate bowl mash the banana. Add the mashed banana to the brownie mixture and stir in until it is mixed in fully.
•Pour batter baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the brownies.
•Allow to cool fully
•Cut into squares and enjoy!!